We have nearly made it through another winter. You probably notice the days feeling longer, and I hope you are enjoying the sunshine (and ALL THE SNOW in the mountains if you’re here in Colorado). I have always loved this time of year, with the first hints of growth and warmth blowing in on the gusty winds.
As we move toward spring and into whatever happens next for each of us, it is natural to feel a shift toward lightening, letting the old unnecessary things fall away or dissolve – which may include material stuff, thoughts, relationships, unhelpful habits, patterns, expectations, whatever. In cases of big transitions or letting go, it can feel like the ground dropping away from beneath you, and you may need to be patient, and trust your own wings.
As always, take good care of yourself: Make time to get outside, drink plenty of water and tea, eat nourishing foods, and don’t forget to look at the sky. I also recommend learning about Ayurveda (the Indian “science of life”, which considers and treats each individual uniquely, based on your own constitution for optimum health and well being).
And now, a spring treat and retreat!
Dreamy Sweet Potato Soup
You will need:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil, ghee, or coconut oil
- Spices (bay leaf, black peppercorns, cloves, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon)
- Cilantro for topping
- Cut sweet potatoes into slices, roast at 400 degrees F until soft.
- Blend sweet potatoes with chopped fresh ginger and coconut milk in a blender (add as much water as needed to blend smoothly).
- Heat oil in a pot, toast whole spices until they sizzle.
- Pour blended sweet potato mixture into pot, add ground spices and salt to taste, plus water as necessary to get the desired consistency.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer as long as you like (5-30 minutes).
- Serve with chopped cilantro, a fresh salad, and warm crusty bread.
Fire and Waves: A Yoga Adventure in the Riviera Maya, Mexico (MAY 9-12)
I am so looking forward to being back on the beach at Hacienda del Secreto in May! This special retreat over Mother’s Day weekend is the most luxurious and in-depth retreat I am teaching this year, and there is space for you!
It is impossible to adequately describe the magical feel and rhythm of the place, but it is an absolute dream. Just a few days of dedicated, unhurried practice and refreshing rejuvenation in this setting have a way of working on us in unbelievable ways. You simply have to experience it for yourself, and I would love for you to come.
Stay in touch, keep practicing, and I hope to see you again some day soon.
Heaps of love,